Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: New 1:6th Scale DOCTOR WHO Figures

Re: New 1:6th Scale DOCTOR WHO Figures

Have 11 in hand now, working on the review.

Be interesting to see how these have turned out - I was going to post whether they'd been released yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
    Have 11 in hand now, working on the review.
    In other words let the pain begin....lol

I posted these couple of pictures on SSF, where everyone seems to be very happy with theirs. I wonder if we are going to be more critical here. I know I will be...

The Good: The likeness is excellent. No doubts about that. And that is the bottom line. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near it if that hadn't been the case. Most of the clothing set is also adequate. It is screen accurate and is not badly made. The base body is also fine. It is very similar to a slim True Type body and the articulation and stability are pretty good. I advise removing the watch as you can't see it and it means he can't flex his wrist with it on. I also like the hand options they have chosen. They have given him fist hands, not because the Dr is going to get into fisticuffs, but because that is the way Matt Smith tends to hold his hands. Nice touch there.

The Bad: The paintwork still isn't there yet. The face has a greyish tinge that makes him looks as though he needs a good wash. The eyes are also placed weirdly. He has that rabbit-in-the-headlights stare that the Amy prototype had. The body and hands are also considerably lighter than the head. Aspects of the clothing could also be better. The jacket has that gaping collar thing going on that can be solved with wire, but it is a fiddle. The bowtie elastic is also too tight and pulls the shirt collar out of shape. I will replace it when I can be bothered. Trousers and shirt are fine.

The Mediocre: The range of bits you get with it is a little paltry, given the price point. Also rather random. I also don't like moulded boots as, not only do they look cheap, they compromise flexion of the ankles (ie there is none). Trouble is, there is nothing else out there that looks the same, so they can't easily be replaced. I considered swapping them out for some Newline jump boots which are close, but might not be close enough. I will give it a try.

All in all, not a bad figure, but I could have done with it being half, maximum two thirds, of the price if I were to be completely satisfied with what I got.

Any other opinions?

I'll maybe buy the figure when I can find it for $150 which is the maximum I think it is worth. Either that, or use the accessory packs to build or trade for the figure I want. Maybe it's because I'm not into Eleven, but I think the price is way too much for what you get and I can't believe the people who paid all that extra money for the signature version on top of the regular price.

For replacement boots, how about the French army boots from Battlegear Toys? I can't give you a direct link because of the way the website is designed, but if you click on the picture of the WWI German Army boots, it should take you to the page with the French boots. Battlegear boots are of the same quality as Newline Miniatures and lovely little pieces of the 1/6 art.

Where I'm looking to support Big Chief is with Four and Ten and the prototype images they've shown so far of them have been very encouraging.

My Doctor checking out my new IRON MAN Mk IV + GANTRY set.

Quote Originally Posted by duck of death View Post
    For replacement boots, how about the French army boots from Battlegear Toys?
    Thanks for that. They look pretty damned close. The stitching can always be painted out.

As for buying at that price, Eleven is my favourite Doctor to date so is the only one that I would be prepared to fork out that kind of money for. I can't imagine coughing up that much for any of the others. Would I be a repeat customer if the prices were lower? Possibly. I suspect we will never find out.

bowties are cool......