One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Front Page News

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23
OSW Member

Re: New 1:6th Scale DOCTOR WHO Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelDesigner View Post
First Doctor Who episode I saw was "Blink" and IMHO is the best yet. So naturally I'd like to see the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) be made because he's the only one I've ever watched. I'd also like to see Sally Sparrow (Carey Mulligan) and the infamous "Weeping Angels" at a 1/6th scale.
Big Chief announced that the weeping angels are the first monsters being produced in their 1/6 Dw line.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:18
OSW Member

Well ... as much I love 11, I don't want to spend the money on him. But God that Amy, with a repaint has the potential to be gorgeous, on top of that, a Tenth Doctor is absolutely a must have for this year along with what Non-Batman figures are released from The Dark Knight Rises.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:22
1:6 Junkie

Want. Not sure if the wallet will allow it. I'll take an eleventh doc, Amy, fouth doc, maybe more. Hope they offer a tardis too!
Old 01-31-2012, 13:22
The Plastic Castaway

More expensive than a comparable HT figure... I was interested until I saw they'd be $200+ The company name is not established, so you don't know how close the proto will be to prod.

The body is an unknown, the paint apps look to be on par with older Sideshow figures, the tailoring looks decent, but plastic shoes don't match the level of quality the clothing has... The sculpts look okay, but I am not seeing a $200 figure here at all. I'm happy for the Dr. Who fans who want them, but I just think at the price point they need to step up the quality a bit.
Old 01-31-2012, 14:52
Mad BATMAN fan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewer View Post
That is Awesome a must buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praedane View Post
I just noticed the price, though -- 149.99; that works out to $245.31 Canadian! Very nice figure, BUT NOT AT THAT PRICE.
You folks really sound surprised, but you know, they call it "Rip-Off Britain" for a very good reason. That's how much things cost over here. Buying an HT figure...any HT figure is a major undertaking here, cost wise.

Not only is the exchange rate slowly slipping back down, but then after the cost + P+P for the basic purchase, we then get an import charge which will add another 35 odd to the overall cost.

Luckily, with the SUPERMAN figures, FEDEX covered it and we then paid them. If it had come via snail-mail it would have taken another week for them to get around to telling us they had it in customs at a local postal depot...so a 12 mile journey and a near 40 pay out!

Rip-Off Britain is dead right!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:00
OSW Member

It's a shame - I know there are a lot of die-hard Doctor Who fans out there, but it seems to me the price of these figures will mean low sales, which will sadly mean a promising company will cease to be!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:02
Perennially narked

I think this is an excellent idea on the part of the Beeb to cash in on the increasing number of adult Dr Who fans with their appropriately adult-sized disposable incomes. But what a disappointment. The head sculpt is fine. No problem with that. It is a good likeness and has a decent amount of life to it. Clothes, fine. Pretty accurate and decently made. Paint job...ye-es. Not what I would expect from the price point. And those boots? Please. Personally, I would be prepared to cough up that much if they corrected these two things. As it stands, nope.

I saw that they had to swap manufacturer midway through and I wondered whether that meant that we might expect better paintwork, so I asked them. This is what they said.

The images of the Eleventh Doctor on our website are of our hand-made prototype. This was professionally hand-painted and we are very pleased with the result. If you are comparing this to a Hot Toys figure for example then you are actually looking at a head that has been cast out in the correct flesh tone plastic, with applied washes and printed, not painted, eyes. It is next to impossible to achieve perfectly neat edges when being painted with a brush at such a small scale. This is why detailing such as eyes are printed for the production run.

We expect pre-production test shots and samples soon and will share images when appropriate with our customers.

Now, I am not wholly convinced by that. If I pay a high price, I expect high quality, whether "printed" or handpainted. But I will suspend judgement and wait for the test shots. If the paintwork is improved, I will get one.
Old 02-01-2012, 19:12
OSW Member

Quote:
It is next to impossible to achieve perfectly neat edges when being painted with a brush at such a small scale.
That is completely bogus. Silentsurfer over at Sideshow Freaks (where Greggo, who painted the Eleven head, and Big Chief both have accounts) does it all the time. I'm no pro painter and I've managed it. Do you have to be careful and use magnification? Yes. Is it tedious and time consuming? Hell yes. But if I was painting a prototype for a figure I wanted $200+ for I would make sure the paint on that prototype was mind-blowingly good.

It's not all bad news though. Over at SSF, Big Chief announced plans to release several "expansion packs" for the Doctor figure with at least one different head and all the parts needed to make several different outfits. No prices as of yet, but it seems like the expansion packs will make it possible to put together an Eleven figure without having to buy the original figure. So you can still support the company and put together a figure you are happy with, without having to make a major investment in a full figure you're not really that thrilled about.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11
Perennially narked

I am with you, duck of death. Generally the paintwork on a company prototype is better than the production version as it is not churned out by someone on the production line and, as you say, it is the advance publicity for the final product so it is vitally important that it be impressive. So, we look at the protoype, subtract a bit for the production line effect, and decide whether the final figure is likely to be up to the mark. There is no room for subtraction on this one. The paintwork just isn't good enough.

The sticking point is the price. If this were 50 cheaper, I wouldn't be making all this noise. A figure of this quality simply isn't yet worth 150. They haven't even sold out the SE signed figures, so these are almost certainly not selling as they expected. And I think they have realised it. So they keep adding random accessories, presumably to try and justify the price. Now, I don't know about you, but my money goes on the figure. The accessories are a bonus. Another sonic screwdriver here or there makes no difference.

And, yes, I read about the expansion packs, which are a very good idea. However, they have a lot of products to produce and sell sufficiently well before they get to these and I am not 100% convinced at the moment that they will get there.

This is a new company and I get the sense that they are feeling their way through this and making a few mistakes as they do so. They seem like nice chaps who genuinely want to offer a good product and good customer service. They are just inexperienced in the action figure world. I hope this succeeds for them.
Old 02-02-2012, 22:33
OSW Member

Well, to be honest, I'm not holding my breath over the expansion packs. If they come out great, but if they don't I won't be hugely surprised. I guess I've been around long enough to see more than one company make big plans for the future and then disappear before anything gets on the market. I guess the Eleven figure will come out, but it has already been delayed once and if it is not a big success I don't know if Big Chief will even get the opportunity to release another. Basically, I hope they have not overextended themselves on Eleven and Amy so that it will ruin their chances of doing figures people might want more like Ten and Four.

If everything does work out, I'm glad Eleven is their first figure and Amy is their second because I'd (selfishly) rather have them work out their production issues on figures I don't really care that much about since their next announced figure is Ten, and if and when they get to him, I want them to have had a chance to improve on their production process from their first two figures.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:34
Perennially narked

I am after Eleven, so the shoe is on the other foot for me. On the plus side, at least I stand a chance of getting the figure I want, even if it is delayed, fraught with uncertainty and offered with Sideshow-standard paint for a Hot Toys-type price. But I agree that Ten is likely to be the big seller. If they get as far as him, they might make some money back.

I still think they need to cut the price by 30% to make this work, but let's see. It is an excellent opportunity for this company and for us die-hard Dr Who fans, so I hope it pans out. And then perhaps they can get the license for Sherlock...
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54
Mad BATMAN fan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamMauMau View Post
then perhaps they can get the license for Sherlock...
Now that would be interesting!
Old 02-05-2012, 21:10
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck of death View Post
That is completely bogus. Silentsurfer over at Sideshow Freaks (where Greggo, who painted the Eleven head, and Big Chief both have accounts) does it all the time. I'm no pro painter and I've managed it. Do you have to be careful and use magnification? Yes. Is it tedious and time consuming? Hell yes. But if I was painting a prototype for a figure I wanted $200+ for I would make sure the paint on that prototype was mind-blowingly good.

It's not all bad news though. Over at SSF, Big Chief announced plans to release several "expansion packs" for the Doctor figure with at least one different head and all the parts needed to make several different outfits. No prices as of yet, but it seems like the expansion packs will make it possible to put together an Eleven figure without having to buy the original figure. So you can still support the company and put together a figure you are happy with, without having to make a major investment in a full figure you're not really that thrilled about.
I agree with ya 100 percent. However, there seems to be that sort of PR in the amature toy-making community. When I say amature, I don't mean anything negative by it - I simple mean that like most people who sculpts, paints, or cast figures on the forums do not have a large business that is over a decade year old. It happens all the time with small and new toy companies - they love making bullshit up. I remember some guy who makes over-priced recast of Battle Beast figures used to tell people not to cast stuff themselves since it is a pricy process that requires expensive equipment. While people do use pricy equipment, most people who cast things do not. I dont think it cost 1000+ to make a cast of small items. The guy even recast as a business so it is very likely he is discouraging people to recast themselves so he can make a huge profit out of it. So I knew it was bullshit

As for prototype painting, people tend to go with people who does prototype painting, which tends to be of high quality - anyone can hire these painters who tend to be professionals in their fields - not just hobbist like most paints you see online. Small Studios, a professional paint (he teaches painting for a living) at the Freak Boards, who is known for doing awsome repaints, is now a prototype painter for Sideshow toys. His painting skills is pheonomial! So yes, it is possible to do perfect edges if you hire someone who is a professional. In other words, I agree with you that that perfect edge is impossible is BS.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:59
Perennially narked

DoomSaber, I don't think they are deliberately trying to bullshit us. They are just being rather naive. They seemed genuinely pleased with the prototype paint job they got and were quite upset that I didn't think it was fitting for a 150 fig. We have all seen handpainted prototypes with perfect edges. We know it can be done. That they offered me that explanation for the rather rough paint job suggests that they probably haven't. So these are people who are feeling their way through this. Luckily, they seem to be relatively receptive to feedback so I hope they are listening on this one.

As I say, I wish them luck with the project and hope it works out. I am sure the Beeb doesn't hand out licenses easily, so these blokes must have something going for them.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59
OSW Member

I don't think anyone has posted this, but I read a few days ago on a doctor who site that after the 11th Doctor and Amy Pond, Big Cheif will release a 1/6 Weeping Angel and then a !0th Doctor (the one I'm waiting for!!).
This morning I received my 12 inch RC gold Dalek that I won on Ebay for $8. It is AWESOME!!! My kids and I have been playing with it for the last hour. I bought it to go along with the 1/6 Cyberman and Ood that I had already bought in anticipation for my 10th Doctor display.
Old 02-18-2012, 15:09
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklcb View Post
I don't think anyone has posted this, but I read a few days ago on a doctor who site that after the 11th Doctor and Amy Pond, Big Cheif will release a 1/6 Weeping Angel and then a !0th Doctor (the one I'm waiting for!!).
Someone has already posted those two items on this thread. Regardless, thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:18
Biwa Hōshi

They are just focusing on the new series? It is not really a good sign when they plan to make a Weeping Angel before a classic Doctor...
Old 02-23-2012, 14:40
OSW Member

They are starting with the new series, but they have the license to do classic as well. After Eleven and Amy, the next announced figure is Ten, and after that I believe they plan to do Four. Since Eleven still isn't out, I think it will be awhile before any other Doctors are released.

If they do a Weeping Angel before a classic Doctor is is probably because it would be a lot easier and cost effective since it is only one thing -- not the multitude of parts that make up a figure with clothes and accessories. If it is a statue it can be cast in one piece, or, if it is articulated (I don't think that is the plan though), once you have the body with joints, you don't have to do anything else.
Old 02-23-2012, 23:11
OSW Member

Quote:
They are starting with the new series, but they have the license to do classic as well. After Eleven and Amy, the next announced figure is Ten, and after that I believe they plan to do Four. Since Eleven still isn't out, I think it will be awhile before any other Doctors are released.

If they do a Weeping Angel before a classic Doctor is is probably because it would be a lot easier and cost effective since it is only one thing -- not the multitude of parts that make up a figure with clothes and accessories. If it is a statue it can be cast in one piece, or, if it is articulated (I don't think that is the plan though), once you have the body with joints, you don't have to do anything else.
According to the website, BCS chose to do the villain to go with the Doctor. They chose the weeping angels because they are the scariest creatures in the doctor universe. Frankly, I think they chose them because they are the newest monsters in the Doctor Universe that are popular. They also go well with Amy, and the last doctors. Be odd if they did a Classic Master as their first villain instead.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59
Biwa Hōshi

Quote:
They are starting with the new series, but they have the license to do classic as well. After Eleven and Amy, the next announced figure is Ten, and after that I believe they plan to do Four.
Well, I guess they'll want US bucks first.

Quote:
If they do a Weeping Angel before a classic Doctor is is probably because it would be a lot easier and cost effective since it is only one thing -- not the multitude of parts that make up a figure with clothes and accessories.
Probably true. But they could do a simply and effective Second Doctor. All he really needs is his pipe.

Quote:
If it is a statue it can be cast in one piece, or, if it is articulated (I don't think that is the plan though), once you have the body with joints, you don't have to do anything else.
True. It is just sad, to me, that 30 or so years if DW history has just boiled down to the current Doctor and an Angel which will probably be a bit forgotten in the future. Still Weeping Angels are popular at the moment due to the new series still be shown and hyped, so I guess it might sell well and give money for future products. I hope that they will do more classic series stuff. Although for that price, I might just get custom heads of the Doctors and collect their stuff myself. The hobby is becoming way too expensive.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45
Perennially narked

Personally, I think that they will be hard-pressed to shift the villains. We might be prepared to cough up for a really good Dr figure, but even 50 for a villain is pushing it.

I wonder if they are starting with the Weeping Angels as they have not already been done in 1:6 (as far as I am aware). You can already get a decent Cyberman, Dalek, Judoon and Clockwork Man for under 20. They can't compete with that.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46
OSW Member

Personally, the whole concept of the Weeping Angels is silly - them sending you back in time to adorn your energy doesn't make sense. Don't get me started with the additional powers Introduced in later episodes.However, I think the story they first appeared in is fantastic and is, IMO, why they are so popular. With that said, I agree that the Angels are the "flavor of the month" so to speak. They will be forgotten over time. I wonder why they chose them over the silence, another popular and current DW monster
Old 02-29-2012, 01:49
OSW Member

I personally would like them do the 7th and 8th doctor. I doubt they would do as well as the other doctors, but these aside from the 6th doctor, these two tend to get the less amount of love - the 8th doctor looks like a cool representation of the Doctor. Too bad all his only tv appearance was in the Us tv movie.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:50
OSW Member

I'd love to see them do the Brigadier - if only for a nice British officer's uniform
Old 02-29-2012, 21:19
OSW Member

Next year is the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who and I expect all the living Doctors (which is to say all the living Doctor actors) will be wheeled out for some sort of super-awesome spectacular. Even if they have to use traq darts to get some of them to participate -- Christopher Eccleston I'm looking at you! So I expect we'll be seeing Eight again in the near future in the company of his other BBC selves.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:38
Perennially narked

Sounds good. Matt Smith was talking about the anniversary on Top Gear on Sunday, but he gave nothing away about what was planned. Another 99 a ticket Who convention, perhaps? The BBC is really cashing in on the current obsession with all things Whovian. Perhaps they will lower our license fee with the huge profits they make...
Old 04-07-2012, 17:22
OSW Member

Based on the pics Wookster posted on the first page to me at least the jawline is too wide or rounded
Old 04-10-2012, 03:31
Mad BATMAN fan!!!

Though I do have one on PO (just the regular version) and be very pleased to have it, there are a few faults with the Amy figure. The most obvious to me is the 'Stepford' eyes. The term 'doll's eyes' is never more applicable than on the Amy figure.
Old 04-13-2012, 22:03
OSW Member

What, no fez? Price point is way beyond what I have paid to date. My HT Joker is my most expensive figure so far but for the 10th Doctor, I may have to reconsider.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:06
Biwa Hōshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomSaber View Post
I personally would like them do the 7th and 8th doctor. I doubt they would do as well as the other doctors, but these aside from the 6th doctor, these two tend to get the less amount of love - the 8th doctor looks like a cool representation of the Doctor. Too bad all his only tv appearance was in the Us tv movie.
I'd especially love a 7th Doctor... mostly because he is my favourite Doctor (despite his first season being good awful). The 8th Doctor would make a good figure too, especially as he is the best dressed.

Was never keen on the Tom Baker era, myself, because I hated the comedy direction it took after his first season and until the 80s. But I know they'll make a 4th Doctor before all the other classic Doctors, if not to appease American fans.

As long as they do not make the 4th Doctor's godawful Cybermen (wobbly heads, pathetic voices, ugly flares, lego-men faces etc) first out of the classic villains!