One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Front Page News

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 03:37
OSW Member

Re: New 1:6th Scale DOCTOR WHO Figures

I have to go back a few years, to the early days of Hot Toys moving out of the military environment, since i was so excited about a new manufacturer. Bring 'em on!!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:03
OSW Member

Well the Doctor I remember from being a kid was Jon Pertwee, so I would like to see him, along with the Brigadier and the Master from the same Era.
Also a late 70s/80s Cyberman would be very nice too!
Old 09-19-2011, 15:01
Mandoll withdrawl

Haven't noticed any updates to this on the OSW, purportedly the following images were on facebook and sideshowfreaks as well as other online sites.

I'm looking forward to this figure, Matt Smith has grown on me as the raggedy Doctor.
Hope the Amy Pond figure is stellar too.

I like the 11th Doctors version of the Sonic. Its quirky, a little green LED mod would do wonders.

Any idea of price yet, before I get my hopes up?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35
aka Cobroldy

It's not Matt Smith that's had to grow on me so much as the writing team. Plus, Tennant was my doctor. Sure I saw the Eccleston season, but being so used to seeing him as a villain, it took til the end of the season to get accustomed to him as a hero (then he went and regenerated, and Tennant won me over.)

Pertwee and his era's Master would be really cool, too. I think the Cybermen from that era would be relatively easy to make, a silver stretch jumpsuit and simple boots/cyberhead.

I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with for these figs, though. They sure seem to be packing the accs. in, I don't even remember the Lasher device or whatever it is.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02
Mandoll withdrawl

It seems the lash up device was from the Van Gogh episode. It's missing the large mirror or something.
Like the nano recorder it only had brief screen time. While I like that they're loading the figure with kit I hope it isn't just to drive up the price.

I'd have been happy with the sonic and maybe some glasses. Glasses that he's maybe used twice :P
This hobby has a serious lack of eye glasses. But it is nice to be able to 'reenact' most of the episodes.

What were you complaints with the writers? I too had episodes I didn't care for while there were others I re-watched with glee.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:58
BAMF

I don't know if you guys have seen these but there's a ton of production images over a SSF.
These images are thanks to Big Chief Studios

Old 09-22-2011, 07:18
OSW Member

Wow...simply incredible.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:07
OSW Member

Full product reveal and more pics at the Big Chief site:

Eleventh Doctor LE

Old 10-01-2011, 07:01
OSW Member

That is Awesome a must buy.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:48
OSW Member

I just noticed the price, though -- 149.99; that works out to $245.31 Canadian! Very nice figure, BUT NOT AT THAT PRICE.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:55
OSW Member

Yeah, that price converted to USD is about $233. However, I'm not sure a straight converted price is accurate: a UK price should have 20% VAT built in that should come out for non-UK buyers. I'm hoping the USD price will be closer to $150 because anything over $200 is out of my price range and more than I can or will spend on a toy that's just going to stand on a shelf.
Old 10-01-2011, 13:03
OSW Member

I hope you're right, 'cause I'd REALLY like to get the Doctor!
Old 10-01-2011, 18:22
1:6 film/scifi/historical

Wow, he's turned out really nice! Can't wait for Amy !
Old 10-01-2011, 22:28
OSW Member

The thread on Sideshow Freaks is putting the US price at $200 which I don't think includes shipping. Right now, I don't think they have a North American distributor so it's hard to know if that really will be the price, or if there will be some flexibility based on who ends up selling it. It is a nice figure and all, and I would love to have it, but I think $200 is about $50 overpriced for what you get. If a relatively simple figure like Eleven is set at $200, what about someone with a complicated costume like Four? It does not bode well for the affordability of the rest of the line.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:54
Dark Pokemon of the Sith

I think I choked when I saw the price. It is way out of line with this figure. This looks like something Sideshow might have produced several years ago. But that price is in line with Jack Sparrow DX or something like that. I agree, he's the simplest Doctor to produce and with a price like that, for something with so little shelf presence, it is going to be a really hard sell for anything but the most die-hard devotees. Imagine the cost of some of the aliens or even Tennant's doctor. Maybe if it came with a TARDIS and a bit more refinement, it would warrant that price... but right now, it's a pass for me.

Guess we'll see if North America gets distribution and that makes any difference.
Old 10-02-2011, 13:30
OSW Member

Well, I think comparing it to Sideshow is a little harsh -- the tailoring alone on this is way, way above anything Sideshow was doing back then, but if it really is $200 I think they can do a lot better than molded boots. I think the thing for me is there are only four parts of this set needed to make a recognizable Eleven that aren't widely available: the head, the braces/suspenders, the jacket, and the sonic screwdriver. Everything else can easily be bashed or is kind of pointless (in my opinion) like the nano recorder or the psychic paper so it is frustrating to have to spend money on them.

$200 for a fully detailed Four with a scarf and hat and detailed costume would be reasonable, but this -- not so much.
Old 10-02-2011, 17:36
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pikachu View Post
I think I choked when I saw the price. It is way out of line with this figure. This looks like something Sideshow might have produced several years ago. But that price is in line with Jack Sparrow DX or something like that. I agree, he's the simplest Doctor to produce and with a price like that, for something with so little shelf presence, it is going to be a really hard sell for anything but the most die-hard devotees. Imagine the cost of some of the aliens or even Tennant's doctor. Maybe if it came with a TARDIS and a bit more refinement, it would warrant that price... but right now, it's a pass for me.

Guess we'll see if North America gets distribution and that makes any difference.
Agreed. I don't mind spending 200+ for Sparrow because he comes with a display piece, several accessories, and two face plates. This figure only comes with a few accessories and is made by fairly unheard of customizers from the 1/6 community. While it is true that most of the key ppl at Ht are also customizers, they have a lot of experience making figures. 200 for something I can get with the same quality if I bashed my own seems way too much. I think the Matt Smith Hs is really good, however
Old 10-03-2011, 13:38
Stuck in Minimate Body

The quality looks nice, but $200+ seems way too high. Although I shouldn't really be surprised, as most Doctor Who merchandise is overpriced compared to other licenses. I am still on Season 4 (only 3 episodes to go!) so I haven't even gotten to the Smith episodes yet. But as much as I love the new series, I wouldn't spend $200+ on a Tennant or Eccleston figure. Now a Tom Baker would be another story...
Old 10-05-2011, 06:28
OSW Member

I love the figure - however, like everyone else the price has put me right off it!
Shame as I was going to pick this figure up - but not at 149.99!
Old 10-05-2011, 16:26
OSW Member

Yeah, at those prices, I'm out too. if it was $150.00 I'd probably bite but not for $200.00
Old 10-05-2011, 17:27
OSW Member

This is tempting, maybe to tempting to resist.

If we are looking at a December\January release date, I may be able to wrangle it as my 'Christmas Figure'. I'm allowed to be a little extravagant at Christmas.

I currently have two image's in my head:

#1: 'The wise' - A group shot with Gandalf the grey, Yoda, and The Doctor.

#2: 'Don't look now...' - Another group shot with The Doctor and every bad guy I own, including a Predator, some Sith Lords, the leader of an international terrorist organisation, a psychopath, and a couple of WWII german's!
Old 10-05-2011, 17:34
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian_Red View Post
This is tempting, maybe to tempting to resist.

If we are looking at a December\January release date, I may be able to wrangle it as my 'Christmas Figure'. I'm allowed to be a little extravagant at Christmas.

I currently have two image's in my head:

#1: 'The wise' - A group shot with Gandalf the grey, Yoda, and The Doctor.

#2: 'Don't look now...' - Another group shot with The Doctor and every bad guy I own, including a Predator, some Sith Lords, the leader of an international terrorist organisation, a psychopath, and a couple of WWII german's!

... And looking at the shelf, I've just spotted another one:

'The two Doctors' - Dr. 'Smith' and Dr. Jones.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:50
OSW Member

Chreeee-ist with my purchase of Sideshow's Exclusive Superman at about $225 with tax, there's no way, I'm paying $225 for that, however I do realize that in the UK prices are adjusted with tax added in, sooooo ... it's understandable that it may be skewed, if it's $150, I'll bite, but no more above that or else I'll unfortunately have to miss him like I did the 10th. We'll wait and see.
Old 10-07-2011, 13:54
OSW Member

FYI...

BBTS pre-order

$199

1/6 Scale Eleventh Doctor Limited Edition Figure - Doctor Who Figures
Old 11-10-2011, 03:01
OSW Member

Project Management, Figure Design & Development:
BIG Chief Studios Ltd.
Sculpting: Concept X
3D Digital Modelling: Sean Dabbs; Simon Goodall; Louise McDonnell
Costume Tailoring: Jo Gough
Decoration Masters: Greggo
Packaging Design: Totem Creative Ltd.
Special Thanks to: BBC Worldwide
Old 11-14-2011, 13:02
Mad BATMAN fan!!!

Well, though it is not intended to sound harsh...Sadly, I know that it's going to but...

Try living in the UK and ordering the SSC/Hot Toys SUPERMAN figure... $210, that's already 132 before P+P and before I will have to pay the import duty on it before I can even get it in my hands! That will easily push it up to 175 (that's $278US)

And now that the shoe's on the other foot, it is not a nice feeling.

I assume that everyone here has seen the TONNER DR. WHO figures..? and those insults to DR WHO were $199 a pop!

http://www.tonnerdoll.com/doctorwho.htm
Old 11-14-2011, 17:40
OSW Member

Well, it could be argued the HT Superman is grossly, grossly, grossly, overpriced whatever country you are in. $200+ for that, really?

Of course, it is easy for me to say that because I don't really care about Superman so it doesn't hold even the slightest temptation as far as I'm concerned.

The Doctor is a lot harder for me to say no to. One the one hand I want to support a company making nice figures. On the other, I don't really care about Eleven all that much. But on the other, other hand, he does have some nice costume bits. But on the other, other, other hand...the price which is the ultimate dealbreaker.

It also occurred to me, that I really don't like figures where all I'm supposed to do is unwrap it and put it on a shelf to look at. My favorite part of sixthscale is customizing and kit-bashing and if someone else has done all the work, what is there for me to enjoy? Or kind of even worse, say you spend $200 on a figure like this and realize you need to change just about everything to make it what you want. So you've already spent a sizable amount of money to get something where you only find a fraction of the parts usable, and then have to invest a bunch more money to get a figure you're satisfied with. If you are not spending more than $200 for a head and some clothing, that's a lot more palatable.
Old 11-14-2011, 17:52
Mad BATMAN fan!!!

WOW!

That was an excellent reply!
Old 12-27-2011, 19:02
OSW Member

Not sure if this is old news, but Amy pond: https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/the-waiting-is-over/
Old 12-28-2011, 03:32
Mad BATMAN fan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomSaber View Post
Not sure if this is old news, but Amy pond: https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/the-waiting-is-over/
Or this..?

https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/whos-next/

It's certainly something designed to make people sit up and take them very seriously and which, if they handle it correctly - which they seem to be doing well at so far - could just about make the company a real name and not 'just a fledgling with lots of promise'

I wish luck indeed. A couple more years to get some real polish on the face sculpts and the UK will have another contender in the 1/6th market.