One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Re-hairing and Re-rooting Questions

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lynkhart 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, sort of new here. I tried to find answers to this, but no such luck. If there is a thread similar to this, I'd appreciate a link. ^.^

So I have two things that I am wondering about.

The first: It is possible to re-root with mohair or a similar natural fiber? If so, which technique should I use?
I have used the needle and thread/knotting method before, but only with nylon hair. I think mohair might be too fragile for this, but I am not sure. Unless you guys think that nylon/saran hair will be fine enough to use on 1:6 figures. Any suggestions or input?

My other question: I recently got my first figure, a Side Show Faramir, and need some input on what to do with the hair. I am debating between repainting the sculpted hair, and removing the sculpted hair and replacing it with real hair. There are a few ways I can handle the real hair thing, but I don't know which one would suit the figure the best. What do you guys think?
The options:
a) Get a 1:6 scale wig. Should sit in the grooves without creating bulk, I think?
b) Make a wig from Tibetan lamb hair (on the skin).
c) Make or get a scalp, and root it. Kinda like the Kumik (I think?) wigs.
d) Find a cheaper fashion doll, scalp her, and use that. (Wow, I sound so sophisticated and cultured here).
e) Forget the real hair thing, and just repaint the sculpted hair.
d) Something else that I have not thought of. I'd rather avoid gluing hair directly onto the head.

Thank you in advance for all your time, help, and effort. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure about Faramir but looking at him with the hair molded down his forehead. Repainting would be the easiest way to go. If the head is vinyl then punching in mohair is possible. Synthetic hair is not easily styled. Real hair is the way to go. If the head is too hard then you are left with cutting away the hair and using a wig or gluing.

#3 ·
@Alastair: By "real hair" do you mean human hair? Or does mohair and lamb fur also apply?
I believe that the head is hard-vinyl. Feels like that, anyhow. The head is not smooth under the sculpted hair. You can see this in Darren Carnall's in-progress shots over here. It's sorta in-dented.

The more I look at doll wigs, the less they seem like they would work with the indented hair line. Seems like my only wig option would be to make one from scratch. (Alas, the Kumik wigs do not fit male heads).

#5 ·
I think retorting with mohair *is* possible, but like you said, it's likely to be a bit more fragile. I tend to glue mohair directly onto my figs but I'm hoping to experiment with tibetan mohair wigs on future figures. Have you had a look on pinterest? There's hundreds of hairing tutorials on there which might be of use. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.