One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Drilling hole in neck of head sculpt.

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  chekinoir 
#1 ·
I've bought a head but noticed it needs a hole drilled to fit in the neck. Will be wanting to use the small hot toys neck peg like this one on sell here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/390616983550

So I will need a dremel. But having never done this before could it be quite complicated to do and is their a big risk I could ruin the sculpt?

Could anyone here recommend how I would go about this? The drill parts and other bits I would need to do with the neck peg to fit.

#2 ·
No, it is not hard, especially if the Dremel is variable speed, The hardest part is dealing with the dust since you don't want to breath it in. The resin is probably pretty soft and should come out pretty easily. Just keep fitting the post into the hole until it fits. Unless you have particularly unsteady hands there is no chance you will ruin the sculpt.

#4 ·
Any dremel should do the job as long as it has variable speed. I prefer a corded one, but that's just because I hate having to deal with keeping a cordless one charged and I don't think they are as powerful. Depending on the dremel it may come with bits that will do the trick for you.

Despite using the word drilling, you don't actually use normal drill bits like the ones you would use for drilling a hole in a piece of wood. For drilling out heads you are better off with the grinding stone bits and the burr bits.

I'm just putting in Amazon links because there are pictures, but you should be able to find the bits you need at any big box store. There are also kits you can get with dozens of different bits in them. They don't even have to be dremel brand as long as they have a compatible shank sizes. I have a 238 piece rotary tool accessory set from a company called Trade Craft and the bits in it are just as good as any of the Dremel branded bits.

#6 ·
Make sure sure you wear a mask like Mr Of Death mentioned, resin dust is nasty stuff. You WILL regret not protecting yourself. That goes for your eyes too, shards of resin might break off and fly at your eyes.

#8 ·
picked one up today and used it to fit a hot toys black widow winter soldier head for a phicen body. haven't decided which body yet but the s09c (already occupied w another head) i fitted on seemed a little too big in size.

also i used the burr bit in the set- it has a round head and i used the lowest setting on the dremel.

i am new here and this thread helped me a lot! thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.