One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1990s VBSS Gear?

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  big boss 
#1 ·
Setting up a 1990s VBSS and taking my usual "accuracy first" approach. I've been trying to answer two niggling questions:
-None of the teams seem to be carrying any breaching gear that I'd expect such as sledges or hooligan bars. Was this just uncommon back then (maybe reserved only for HVBSS)?
-LPU-21s seem to be the preferred life preserver, but we're UDT life preservers (mustang/horse collars) also in use?

Any help answering these questions is much obliged.

#2 ·
As far as breaching gear, I would think shipboard access would be fairly straightforward, as well as there being various tools available aboard the ship itself. Even recent team pics don't produce much in the way of carried tools.

The inflatable horse collar vest seems to be more of a Vietnam/post-Vietnam item, and is sort of obtrusive, compared to the other models. A bit of interesting reference here - FlightHelmet.com | Serving Military, EMS, & Civilian Pilots 800-531-4898

A number of bashes of the period, which I think portrayed VBSS kit pretty well:

SEAL Combat Boarding

SEAL VBSS

Yujin's team

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...sion/31840-navy-seal-vbss-team-many-pics.html -

#3 ·
As far as breaching gear, I would think shipboard access would be fairly straightforward, as well as there being various tools available aboard the ship itself. Even recent team pics don't produce much in the way of carried tools.

The inflatable horse collar vest seems to be more of a Vietnam/post-Vietnam item, and is sort of obtrusive, compared to the other models. A bit of interesting reference here - FlightHelmet.com | Serving Military, EMS, & Civilian Pilots. 800-531-4898

A number of bashes of the period, which I think portrayed VBSS kit pretty well:

SEAL Combat Boarding

SEAL VBSS

Yujin's team

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...sion/31840-navy-seal-vbss-team-many-pics.html -
Thanks, Mike! I've also found a photo series of a SEAL Team 8 VBSS team that operated during the Gulf War (Search for "PH2 Milton Savage"). They clearly use the horse collar as opposed to the LPU-21.
The horse collar isn't my first choice due to the reasons you stated. However, given that Very Hot has decided to include an LPU-21 as part of its upcoming pilot releases (as opposed to the automatic LPU-23 - note the missing stickers), I'll probably end up waiting on one of those.

#4 ·
I used to have some good links saved but alas I have lost them. Here is a good start for you though..... 90's vbss - Bing Images

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.