One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Rilfe Grenades

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  pukingdog 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I would just like to inquire if the M4 rifle or the M16 series in general can still fire rifle grenades like the M9A1

See less See more
#2 ·
The M7 launcher was usually mounted to Springfield 1903(/A3) or M1 Garands, for launching rifle grenades. There was also an M8 adapter for the carbine.

M7

A powerful blank cartridge launched the grenade. The lighter 5.56mm blank wouldn't launch the grenade far, even if the M4/M16 muzzle fit the tube properly, I believe.
There's far better munitions and systems available now, so the US doesn't employ these types of rifle grenades.

#3 · (Edited)
Following on to what P'Dog said, I believe the standard M16A1 and later bird-cage type flash suppressor / barrel device is sized to use NATO / STANAG 22mm rifle grenades.

These type grenades originally required the use of a special blank "ballistite" grenade launching cartridge. A later improvement was the switch to a "bullet trap" type rifle grenade. These didn't require special cartridges... just slip a grenade on the front of the rifle, aim, and fire. A regular ball round of ammo propels these. FN Herstal and IMI have designed a number of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_grenade

In the late 70's, Brunswick Corporation developed the "Riflemans Assault Weapon" for the USMC. As large as a cantalope melon, it attached to a special launcher bracket that hung below a M16's muzzle, and was actually rocket propelled. The US military bought limited numbers for testing.

Supposedly there is still US military interest in rifle grenades, with small numbers of various modern designs aquired for operation testing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.