One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Colt commando/CAR-15 question.

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  panzerwerk 
#1 ·
Well, as someone who is interested in firearms of any kind, I thought that I would know all versions of the Colt commando/CAR-15 or XM177 versions. However, there is one type rifle in this family that I could not ID and that is a Dragon rifle that came in one of the sets.

Its basically a CAR-15 with the features of M16A2 (different receiver, shell deflector, adjustable sight in carry handle etc.) but has the same muzzle break as the XM177E2. This rifle can also be seen in movies like Black Hawk Down and Blood Diamond. I recall that the Dragon CIA Frank came with a similar rifle but with a M203 grenade launcher as well.

Now, is this based on a actual rifle or just something made up? I mean, its a odd combination. So can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Well yes, but thing is, why would anyone do that? Also, I recall seeing a photo of some south east asian weapons expo where they displayed similar looking rifles. It was kind of odd to see that there.

#4 ·
The studio armories don't always have the right receivers or parts to make 100% correct weapons, so they work with what they have to make it as close as possible to the original weapon called for , they have to follow the BATF rules like anyone else in the gun world , and if they have a close enough clone ,they use it instead of building 100% correct guns every time, it all about using what you have on hand . full auto costs money ,and most movie going folks do not notice little details .
Sadly others like Dragon might copy the movie franken guns thinking they are a real model .

#5 ·
The "moderator" that the XM177 had, apparently had a minor Db reduction effect, enough that the BATF defines it as a suppressor. Apparently did a better job of reducing the impressive muzzle flash on the short barreled weapon, and it's back pressure helped the weapon cycle better (having a barrel modified to a shorter version many years ago, I can tell you that cycling problems did occur) .
I suppose it is in the realm of possibility that shooters had armorers secure the moderator for the above reasons. Or, as said, it could be movie gun stuff. Some crazy mods out there, especially in bad action fims of the recent past.

#6 ·
After 15 years in the movie biz , most as a prop guy , I can tell you 100% they had A2 receivers laying around and put shorty barrels on them with gas restrictors behind the muzzle brake to facilitate the blank fire,some barrels they tap and thread the reducer right in as its safer. , the hole in the end can be different sizes for 1/4 flash, 1/2 flash, and full flash blanks depending on what the scene calls for , I have been in several armories during my movie time , they always try to use what they have on hand to save money , as long as it looks the part (close enough) 99% of the movie going public has no idea its not supposed to have a removable carry handle or forward assist , only the true gun geeks notice.
One armory I have been too actually has a manufacturing licenses, the lead armorer was showed me a shorty MG34 they made for some movie like 8 years ago , cant remember what .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.