One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

UK Forces Replace Browning HP with Glock 17 9mm pistol

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Rattlehead537 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
The Marines aren't 'going back' to the 1911. The M45 was selected for the Marine MSOB and MEU units who are already using 1911s. Or in the case of MSOB some are running Glocks.

The M9 I think is a great pistol and under rated. It suffers because it met the military requirements, double action/single action, 15 round magazine and ambi safety. They build what the military want. With that said I've watch the Army's 10th SOG go through tens of thousands of rounds with them and they keep running. They need to be clean and need good magazines. They aren't my favorite pistol, but I don't feel I'm handicapped at all when armed with one.

The Glock is a fantastic, simple, reliable pistol. From a military perspective they are cheap, easy to replace and repair, easy to train on and can take huge round counts. The Hi Power is well past its prime. I love it, just like I love the 1911 pistol, but for a modern military its time is gone. A number of the British and the Australian troops I deployed with where carrying WW2 Hi Powers cut for shoulder stocks and with tangent sights.

#6 ·
They can send me those old Hi-Powers. I'm not arguing the expediency of their decision, but "slower"? I guess that must be an on-average thing, because a practised shooter could draw and fire a Browning in 2 seconds. They are of very high quality construction and functionality, the problem lies in their age and usage. Years ago, at a 4th of July event, a guest remarked on the tightness of a Gold Cup he was loaned to shoot. His experience with issue Brownings in the British Army was that most of them were old and worn.

#13 ·
John Clark, tell us why it's a mistake in your opinion.
Body armor is like the AK-47, even the lowest quality makes a person a threat. Now if you are down to or forced to rely on your sidearm. Knockdown power is the key to surviving, plain and simple. Deploy a weaker round against the protection of body armor then you are in trouble. Sure the HP is old school with a low ammo amount, but this is not Hollywood. You will not be squeezing the trigger like the dumb ... action stars and kill everyone you are shooting at with a round or two. Not in today's battlefield with the very common implementation of body armor. Just my thoughts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.