Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kel Tec KSG ... Comments?

Re: Kel Tec KSG ... Comments?

I forgot about this...

Sounds like the feed issue you had, SteveO, is a common one, not racking it hard enough. I heard the other issue with the tube selector has since been rectified. I'm hoping sometime in the new year will see me shopping for some new stuff. Just need to branch away from figures and stuff first haha.

I had a chance to handle the UTAS-15 at a gun show this past summer. None of the sellers at the show had the KSG. Iteresting beast thats for sure. And it would take a bit of getting used to that short length. I don't remember the weight being too much of an issue. Probably because of the short legnth. Sure can move it around easily.

Steve, since you have been practicing with yours for a few months now, any changes in the opinions of the gun?

Nice work on the 1:6 version Delta

Quote Originally Posted by cdn_rhino View Post
    I forgot about this...

Sounds like the feed issue you had, SteveO, is a common one, not racking it hard enough. I heard the other issue with the tube selector has since been rectified. I'm hoping sometime in the new year will see me shopping for some new stuff. Just need to branch away from figures and stuff first haha.

I had a chance to handle the UTAS-15 at a gun show this past summer. None of the sellers at the show had the KSG. Iteresting beast thats for sure. And it would take a bit of getting used to that short length. I don't remember the weight being too much of an issue. Probably because of the short legnth. Sure can move it around easily.

Steve, since you have been practicing with yours for a few months now, any changes in the opinions of the gun?

Nice work on the 1:6 version Delta
    Hi Mike!

Yes, I'm still muscling through the occasional "hard rack". I've read that there may be a mechanical reason for that, and I plan to address it with the Kel-Tec folks when I go to SHOT Show next month. Too many guys on line recommend making modifications to the gun that will likely void the warranty. I figure that talking to the source is the best way to go.
    Yeah, the weight is not an issue, even with two full tubes, and the length makes the KSG a JOY to manipulate. I did add a Pachmyr Decelerator butt pad that goes a long way toward taming the recoil. I want to try out some of the Aguila Mini Shells when I can find them in stock. They're 1 3/4" in length with a corresponding reduction of recoil. There was some initial concern about the ability of the KSG to reliably cycle them, but Kel-Tec has come out and recommended them. It seems that the Aguila slug shell is a pretty much optimal home defense round.
    I'm still "over here" for a couple more weeks, but I'll get to the range when I'm home before I head out to Vegas so I'll have some recent experience to discuss.

I just picked up on the Aguila Mini Shells references. A bud of mine who is a reloader and self-taught machinist, made up mini rounds quite a few years ago. They worked fairly well in pumps and autos, as I recall. Labor intensive when made at home.

We kicked around the idea of a single shot shotgun-based sniping weapon as well, with a sabot "long penetrator" round. but never went anywhere with that.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    I just picked up on the Aguila Mini Shells references. A bud of mine who is a reloader and self-taught machinist, made up mini rounds quite a few years ago. They worked fairly well in pumps and autos, as I recall. Labor intensive when made at home.

We kicked around the idea of a single shot shotgun-based sniping weapon as well, with a sabot "long penetrator" round. but never went anywhere with that.
    The issue, as I'm sure you know, Mike, is that in many shotguns the lifter won't reliably transfer the mini shell from the magazine to the chamber. They tend to flip over and "fail to feed". Whether by design or happy accident (I suspect the latter), the KSG feeds them like a champ. This increases the per magazine (tube) capacity from seven 2 3/4" shells to twelve 1 3/4" rounds. In a home defense scenario, a one ounce lead slug moving at approximately 1250 FPS will resolve a lot of issues. And twenty five of them will resolve many more.

Interesting concept, the sabot round that you mention. Do you know why it didn't take off?

The sabot round faded due to low priority, I think. The theory sounded good, based on the Abrams' gun. Maybe somewhere, someone has already done it. I guess the main issue would be how it performed compared to conventional long guns.

I can see how shotguns designed to handle standard length shotshells could have feeding problems. I agree that Kel Tec's wizards probably worked the design to allow the mini shells a clean function. The extra rounds are a real boon to the carry load, and indeed, slugs are not only brutally lethal, but pretty accurate.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Well, we have our first 1:6 options too now. The Dark Zone Agent Renegade, and another stand alone form a different brand. The VTS one is awesome. I'll try and get the figure built up this weekend.

I seem to recall a 3" sabot round for AP applications, but maybe I was just imagining that. Military rounds for barricades and anti-vehicle use. I wish I could find that article. Maybe I just imagined it.

A quick search shows some have been made. Even scarier are the flechette rounds. Those might as well just be nails, and they mess up the barrel.