One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Rhodesia and South Africa Special Forces

105K views 86 replies 28 participants last post by  panzerwerk 
#1 ·
Add your reference pics here!

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
In 83 and 84 I was in SA in a place called Secunda, which was built around the SASOL 2 and 3 plants which turned coal in to oil and gas.

The local Commando (i.e. militia or TA) unit used trials bikes - with clips on the handlebars to attach their Uzi's, which they fired on the move! Wish I'd taken some pics of them.

They were called out at least 3 times when I was there after Terrs launched rockets into the SASOL plants.

My own carry when I went in to Jo'burg was a 4" Colt Python.

#31 ·
saw249man said:
I just ordered the book Fireforce from Chris Cocks and will be ordering the book The Saints soon as some reading material.
Good reading. Chris Cocks is a great bloke. He was very helpful when I wrote an article on the RLI for a French military history magazine some years ago. I had the chance to met him and his charming wife at the Launch of The Saints in London this late June, as well as many other veterans of the Bush War. They were all very friendly to that odd Froggy who had an interest in their combat. The Saints is a brilliant book, worth every penny (or cent).

May I suggest you purchase Dennis Croukamp 's book The Bush War in Rhodesia as well. A great personal memoir by a former RLI and Selous Scout operator.

Cheers
Eric

#35 ·
I worked with an electrician here in the midwest, who'd served in the RLI. Saw a copy of his commission, as well as that of his father's (Selous Scouts). He'd apparently taken a fair amount of ribbing for his half-Brit roots.

#45 ·
Rhodesian OG uniform that was used by RhSAS and Selous Scouts during cross-border ops.

And finally (for the time being ;)), anti-tracking boots.

The OG uniform is awsome.

I know that members of MACV SOG used to put socks or rice sacks over their boots when operating close to the HCM Trail for the same reason.

#46 ·
This certainly is becoming a treasure trove of Rhod/Sth African militaria ...

As for the shorts .. I think the green ones with the elasticated waistband are probably issue, cannot comment on the black ones. Have also seen camo ones made as shorts .. not just cut down trousers.

Might have to pick up a pair at the local footy club .. or did they play 'rugger' ???

#47 ·
I have a brown/coyote tan vest i picked up 15 years ago which i was told was South African. It's seems to be the original 'Viper' one you see loads of camo colored ones you see in surplus shops now.

It has like 20+ pockets and pouches and seems to be one size fits all too. Will post pictures later. BTW at the time of purchase i was using it myself in the Armed forces so it has been modded slightly .

#49 ·
B2Z,
i would say that your vest is a genuine SA M83. The cheap copies that infest surplus stores and eBay are much more recent. BTW, the "brown/coyote tan" is called "nutria" in the SA Army.

Re-the black shorts, I think they were issue as well, as they appear from time to time alongside the OG ones in pictures. They have exactly the same cut (with one small internal pocket) as a pair of OG shorts in my collection.

Eric

#50 ·
B2Z,
i would say that your vest is a genuine SA M83. The cheap copies that infest surplus stores and eBay are much more recent. BTW, the "brown/coyote tan" is called "nutria" in the SA Army.
Are they worth much now ? I think i paid £20 ($40usd) from a Surplus Shop near the camp. The shop also had the bergen to match which was about 120lts in size. The shop also had them in black with black bergens but as we all know black isn't very good to use in the field so i chose the brown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.