One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Vietnam Reference Q&A

143K views 95 replies 28 participants last post by  Pickle Munkey 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a question about Vietnam Figures with reference to their gear?
Post your Q&A here!

I've been trying to research what gear different soldiers like gunners, tunnel rats, standard soldier, flamer etc wore for a kitbash and it seems they wore what they liked!

Was there any set standard for uniform or was it a "whatever you feel comfortable in" to a certain degree?

Also did people used to carry more than one main weapon?

#65 · (Edited)
Bayonets Im sure. But there was no grenade launcher attachment for the AK47 in the 60's (We americans were just feilding the M203 in 1969 and that wasnt on a large scale).
There was a picture I saw once of a vietcong using an Mosin Nagat with a rifle grenade attached, but the only other time Ive seen a vietcong/NVA with a grenade launcher was in another picture but it was an M79

Edit: I had the wrong rifle listed, it was the mosin nagat

#79 ·
I was thinking of doing a Vietnam bash and this thread is oh so helpful. I do have a question though. The Wild Works uniform set, what part of the war is that from? I would assume since it comes with an M14 its the onset, but does the rest of the gear match? I'd like to do a grunt from like 1967-8. Should I use this set as a start, or is there a better uniform? Thanks.

#81 ·
My idea is for like a grunt wearing his OD tee and FLAK vest, and other gear. Making him a Marine seems fine. I want to use the UFC Tito Ortiz hs on the TT Advanced body, both are pre-ordered. I just want to be accurate. Being I want to make it circa 1968, he would need an M16, right?? What gear can I use from that Wild Works set?? Might I be better off just getting loose pieces??

#83 ·
I have another question. Where or how did soldiers carry extra rounds for the M79? I want to use one on my bash and I have the shoulder rig from the Comedian figure. Would something like that have been used? I think not. I would like to be as accurate as possible.

#90 ·
While i know that this is a old thread, I thought I should resurrect it with some videos I found on YouTube, they are films shot in country and show various aspects of the Vietnam War.

US Army 1st. Cav in Vietnam

An Unique War

Air Mobility Team in Vietnam

Ready to Strike

The 9th Infantry Division (Old Reliables) in Vietnam

I will post more if you guys want, there should be more full length documentaries and such on You Tube. I hope this helps for all those who are interested in the weapons and gear used in Vietnam during the war.

#92 ·
Vietnam (Some pics NSFW)
This is a VERY interesting and excellent photo series from a 12th Infantry grunt taken between 1971 and 1972. Some pics are not worksafe though, so use your discretion.

Viet Cong Structures
More interesting work from the same author.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.