One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

The BIIIIIIIIIIIG OSW Trivia Quiz Thread......

348K views 6K replies 112 participants last post by  Tolerancer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey fellas,
what do you think about an OSW Trivia????
Somebody asks a question(Military,1/6 etc. related) and whoever gives the correct answer asks another question and so on.....
LMK what you think.

We have this going on on our German 1/6 Forum and the First Thread is over 80 Pages and the Second Thread Just hit the 20 Page Mark.

#3,769 ·
Very good, CC!

Towards the end of WW2, members of the US "Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives" program were tasked with safeguarding historically important European monuments and recovering artifacts and pieces of art stolen by the Nazis from occupied areas. The men of this quasi-military unit, made up of many prominent intellectuals, historians, and museum directors, eventually chose Wiesbaden as one of their three central collection points for items recovered from Nazi caches.

The men were shocked when, in November 1945, they were ordered to round up over 200 of the most valuable pieces in their warehouses for shipment back to the US for display. 36 of the officers in the unit wrote a strongly-worded formal protest, nicknamed the "Wiesbaden Manifesto", in response to the order, which they viewed as no better than the Nazi looting that they were trying to undo.

Despite their protests, hundreds of items recovered from the Nazis were shipped back to the US, and were not returned to their rightful owners until President Truman ordered their return in 1948.

For further reading, check out this article from WW2 Magazine: The Monuments Men: Rescuing Art Plundered by the Nazis HistoryNet

Over to you, Casual_Collector!

#3,770 ·
#3,771 · (Edited)
from Wiki:
August 19, 1981 Gulf of Sidra incident when two F-14A were attacked by two Libyan Su-22 aircraft. When the Libyan missile fired missed its target, the Americans were cleared to engage and both Su-22 were destroyed with Sidewinder missiles.

"The official United States Navy report states that both Libyan pilots ejected and were safely recovered, but in the official audio recording of the incident taken from USS Biddle, one of the F-14 pilots states that he saw a Libyan pilot eject, but his parachute failed to open."

and here's a transcript:
http://bbs.tomcat521.com/archiver/?tid-345.html

I guess Gaddafi's "Line of Death" took on a whole new meaning after this little party

#3,772 ·
Correct! This recording comes from an officer in the USS Biddle's CIC, LT. Mike Sasser.
As for the two "survivors" from the Incident - F-14A BuNo 160390 (Fast Eagle 107) crashed when Lt. Kara Hultgren flamed out while trying to land on the USS Abraham Lincoln. She died, but her RIO ejected safely. F-14A BuNo 160403 (Fast Eagle 102) was later converted into an F-14D and became a part of the Confederate Air Force's fleet of museum aircraft, where she remains to this day.
On to you, GregT!

#3,773 ·
ohhhh, "survivors"... doh! that was an exciting clue CC, really good one.

(this one's easy-easy, I'll give it about 15 min.)

Designed in 1860 by an American, built by Brits, rejected by the Royal Navy and the U.S. Army,
offered to the C.S.A. and might have been used at the Siege of Petersburg... what is its name?

#3,774 ·
That will be Vandenburghs Salvo cannon, a "ribaldequin" with 85x.50 cal barrels, that apparently fired all at once.......KAAaAA...........BLOOOOOEY

( I love the word ribaldequin.......... it sounds......... oldey-worldy-saucey...... I will be trying to get it into conversation tomorrow at work)

#3,775 ·
Well done Dan! I'll admit that's a new one to me.

.......( I love the word ribaldequin.......... it sounds......... oldey-worldy-saucey...... I will be trying to get it into conversation tomorrow at work)
A naughty harlequin perhaps? The usual loud outfit, but with a disturbing codpiece?

#3,779 ·
I believe that it is the Nock gun, wielded by RSM Patrick Harper of the Sharpe's series.

The Nock gun was originally meant for use by the Royal Navy. It was invented by British engineer James Wilson, and manufactured by gunsmith Henry Nock.(London)

Seven smoothbore barrels designed to fire simultaneously, by means of a flintlock mechanism. "Overall length 37in, barrel length 20in, calibre 0.52in."*

I think your cap badge is that of the Royal Green Jackets - of which the 3rd Green Jackets is The Rifle Brigade.

If I am wrong, I am SPECTACULARLY wrong.....

*From Weapons - Harper's Nock Volley Gun - The Sharpe Appreciation Society

#3,780 ·
Mike, the RGJ are also known as 'the Black Mafia' because of their black accoutrements and habit of supporting each other through think and thin.

Dan - you'll be pleased to know that an ex-Lancer officer friend of mine who (for some reason) ended up leading a bunch of RGJ in NI said they were the most switched on toms he ever worked with.

#3,782 ·
PD - you were unwrong.....it was Harpers Nock gun I was thinkin of.....

Harper was my inspiration as a younger man for actually joining the Green Jackets - I am a big lump with Irish heritage - and the Jackets were my local regiment (North London) when it came time for me to join up, I fancied my military career would be akin to Harpers.....

As it turned out, I spent more time guarding the gate and waiting for nothing in particular, and then alternatively freezing and then boiling my arze off in Bosnia, and had zero duels with bespectacled French spies!

AM, very pleased to hear your oppo had a good opinion of us - we didnt always have the best rep in the army, but as you said, we were a fiercely loyal bunch of thieves and vagabonds (Sharpe again??) and looked out for eachother....that always meant very "cohesive" small units. I imagine the lads stole all the shiny things the poor donkey walloper ever had by the end of the tour!!

PD....... go go go .....

(Russ, I am an ardent believer that there is very little appreciable difference between "switched on" and "turned on"...... particularly in squaddies....... they both keeep you going, its a matter of where your hands are and how well your trousers fit....... I have dedicated most of may adult life in trying to be in one state or the other!!)

#3,783 ·
Thanks Dan, and all the better for your account of your time. An old friend, now long gone, once gave me some hard candy named for the Green Jackets. Such things usually trip off further interest and research, and their story and character are great reading.
I can't drop the subject without including a pic I found on the Sharpe Appreciation Society site. It's Bernard Cornwell himself, with the Nock gun.

He is one of the handful of fiction authors that I will read and reread, in the same company as George McDonald Fraser (whom I greatly miss).

_________________________________​

Developed before WW1, deployed with limited success by the Germans, this weapon would eventually be modified by several firms, becoming an iconic autocannon. In it's various modifications, it saw action in the Gran Chaco War, China, and Spain, well before the (official) outbreak of WW2.

ID this weapon, and bonus points for it's likely connection to designer of the previously trivialised V-3 gun (now I'm just being fiendish).

-----

#3,785 ·
Actually, it appears that allegations were made that the initial concept for the 20mm Becker was developed by "the Cönders brothers" but was patented by Dr. Rheinhold Becker. I'm unsure of whether August Cönders, designer of the V-3, was one of these "Cönders brothers" or just another relative.

#3,786 ·
I havent busted the research on the cannon.....but I have to comment on the pic of Mr C and the Nock gun....great image......

Of course, I have been careful NOT to combine a pint of strong cider, a good cigar and powerful firearms, as the conclusion would surely end me up in gaol (or, on an outside fanciful chance, in charge!)

#3,787 ·
Good work RogueJK, and you've nabbed the extra points as well. I too have not managed to determine if August Cönders was one of the "Cönders brothers", but it seems likely he was at least family. The trail goes cold, and links die just about the time the answer seems to be surfacing. Hence the "likely"...
The Cönders brothers get credit for ammunition design, and may well have done the gun, but as they were working for Stahlwerke Becker of Reinickendorf, Germany, it could be a matter of company ownership.

In it's interim period of manufacture by SEMAG (Seebach Maschnenfabric AG), the weapon saw service in the aforementioned pre-WW2 conflicts. The Bolivians were kind enough to field a number which were captured by the Paraguayans, and turned on their former owners.

The later 20mm Oerlikon was used in many applications by the WW2 Allies, copied by other nations, and is use today. My father was a Machinist's Mate in the Pacific, but had been trained on the Oerlikon.
In the movie Soldier of Fortune (1955), Hank Lee (Clark Gable) is being pursued by a Chinese gunboat. He opens a large hatch in the stern of his Junk (that being a seagoing vessel, for you wise guys), and destroys the gunboat with his 20mm Oerlikon. I watched that movie many times, just for those moments.

Well done and over to you, RogueJK

#3,788 ·
You're right regarding the dangers of those three components, Dan. The old saw "Gunpowder and alcohol do not mix" is like a law of physics, and someone in their cups who is armed, well no one should have to deal with that (though so many have). No doubt Mr. Cornwell and company left out the powder in that meeting.

#3,789 ·
Thanks PD!

The "totenkopf" or "Death's Head" insignia is generally associated with the German Schutzstaffel, who made extensive use of the symbol among the Allgemeine-SS and Waffen-SS, as well as the Panzer units of the German Army in WW2, who bore metal Totenkopfs on their collar tabs. However, there was one other small Wehrmacht unit that wore the Totenkopf insignia, despite being neither an armored unit nor associated with the SS.

Which unit am I referring to, and why did they bear the Totenkopf badge?

#3,792 · (Edited)
It was the 5th Cavalry Regiment. Still looking for a reason though.
EDIT: Quoth Wikipedia: "The Totenkopf was used in Germany throughout the inter-war period, most prominently by the Freikorps. In 1933, it was in use by the regimental staff and the 1st, 5th, and 11th squadrons of the Reichswehr's 5th Cavalry Regiment as a continuation of a tradition from the Kaiserreich."

#3,793 · (Edited)
Very good, Casual_Collector.

The Totenkopf cap badge was originally worn by members of the Napoleonic-era Prussian 1st and 2nd Leibhusaren Totenkopf or "Death's Head Bodyguard Hussars", and the tradition continued among those units through World War 1.

After WW1, the Totenkopf Hussar's tradition was carried on by members of the Reichswehr's Reiter-Regiment 5, formed in 1921, which later became the Wehrmacht's Kavallerie-Regiment 5 in June 1936.

In August 1939, the regiment was transformed into three separate Aufklarungs Abteilungen (Reconnaisance Batallions), and the tradition was discontinued. However, in 1943, the Kavallerie-Regiment 5 was reformed and the tradition was reintroduced.

A slightly similar "skull and crossbones" cap badge (though not the stereotypical Totenkopf) was also worn by members of the German Army's 17th Infantry Regiment as a continuation of the Prussian 92nd "Braunschweiger" Infantry Regiment's tradition.

Over to you, CC!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.