Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Need your suggestions about Li-polymer batteries

Need your suggestions about Li-polymer batteries

Hi,
    I hope this is a good best platform to ask a suggestion regarding airsoft gun accessories. I was using Nickel-Metal Hydride battery. But now I am planning to buy a battery which has more capacity, power and less weight. I have been asking many of my friends and got many replies. Recently, one of my friends suggested me Li-Polymer batteries https://mach1airsoft.com/product/ten...-battery-pack/ . He told me that it would be much better than the one I am using right now. So if anyone have used this, share your experience. If you are using any other battery which is more reliable than Li-Polymer batteries, suggest some stores from where I can buy it. Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need your suggestions about Li-polymer batteries

Quote Originally Posted by john7456 View Post
    Hi,
    I hope this is a good best platform to ask a suggestion regarding airsoft gun accessories. I was using Nickel-Metal Hydride battery. But now I am planning to buy a battery which has more capacity, power and less weight. I have been asking many of my friends and got many replies. Recently, one of my friends suggested me Li-Polymer batteries https://mach1airsoft.com/product/ten...-battery-pack/ . He told me that it would be much better than the one I am using right now. So if anyone have used this, share your experience. If you are using any other battery which is more reliable than Li-Polymer batteries, suggest some stores from where I can buy it. Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    wrong topic wrong section ..... ask this in the 1:1 section

I moved it for you, John. Left a 1-day redirect. Maybe someone here can line you out. Welcome aboard, and good luck!

Mike
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by john7456 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.
    Better or not is all relative to what battery you are currently using, you may find a low discharge 7.4V lipo gives you worse motor response and ROF than your existing battery. Firstly, buy your lipos from Hobby King (make sure you get the ones marked as airsoft to insure correct polarity) as their prices are the fairest by far. Airsoft branded lipos are generally excessively priced for no reason and offer no tangible benefit unless they are a specialty sized tailored to a particular gun/batter box/etc.

I would stick to 7.4V unless you know your internals are upgraded and have a mosfet installed. Personally I prefer ones with a higher C rating to ensure the motor gets sufficient juice, and obviously more MAH is preferable but you need to pay attention to resulting dimensions ensuring you can fit the battery wherever you are going to be mounting it. PTS makes a neat vertical grip that can hold a smaller lipo.

If you are going to be using lipo batteries make sure you read up on lipo safety and get a quality charger like the Imax B6 which can set the battery to a proper storage mode when you have them in storage for an extended period of time. Get a lipo safety bag for storing and charging. It might seem a bit complicated, but just avoid the junk product on the market in the form of crappy overpriced lipos and chargers that have no business being near an electrical outlet.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

Newbie to the site, but not Lipos, I've been using them in r/c airplanes since 2004.
    As AdamC stated, read up on them, lipos are a whole nother animal. They will not stand for mistreatment, such as running them too low on voltage. And they will need protection against banging around loose in a tank. Soft pack cells don't take kindly to hitting a sharp object.

You may want to look at the hard shell packs used in r/c cars, they are designed to be banged and bumped without damaging the lipo inside. Last thing you want is a dinked lipo. They can catch fire and burn like you've never seen.

Great power systems, but you have to understand and respect them.

Get a mosfet for it and you'll be fine. It'll stop the weapon firing if the voltage drops (or is too high), plus you can program it for selective fire.
    One of the main things with LIPOs is to make sure you get a decent charger for it and know how to charge it properly.

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away